Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An excellent accmpaniment to an Indian meal or grilled meat and chicken, from the Good Housekeeping Rush Hour Cookbook.
- Grind ginger, garlic and red chillies into fine paste with splash of vinegar.
- Mince dates and raisins in a food processor without adding water.
- Chop tomatoes roughly, put in large pan, and cook till soft and mushy. Add the paste made in step 1 , minced raisins and dates, sugar, vinegar and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, on low heat till sugar melts.
- Increase heat to high and continue to cook, until chutney reaches consistency of thick jam. Leave to cool.
- Fill in air-tight jars. Will keep for 6 months in the refrigerator.