Recipe by lauralie41
Coconut and lime juice balance the spicy bite of crushed red pepper in this shrimp salad from a ChangeOneDiet.com email I received. Also included in the Zaar World Tour 2005, Asia.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small savoy cabbage (4 cups) or 1 small iceberg lettuce, shredded (4 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 4 ounces bean sprouts
- 3 tablespoons dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 scallion, including top, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, bring water to boil.While water is boiling, heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add red pepper flakes and cook, stirring occasionally for approximatley 3 minutes. Strain oil into a small bowl, discarding the red pepper flakes and whisk in clam and lime juices. Set aside dressing mixture.
- When water has come to a boil drop in shrimp and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer approximately 2 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque. Drain shrimp and rinse under cold water to prevent further cooking, drain well.
- In a large bowl, transfer shrimp and add cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts, peanuts, coconut, and scallion. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.