Vegetarian Network Austin's Note:
This recipe is from member Elizabeth Harbron's profile which was featured in our June/July 2001 newsletter. She adapted it from a recipe in Vegetarian Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces soy tempeh
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger (fresh, minced)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1/2 cup tamari, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly on diagonal
- 1 celery, sliced on diagonal
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 ears corn, kernels removed (about 1 c., can substitute frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1Preheat broiler.
- 2Halve tempeh crosswise, then lengthwise.
- 3Mix ginger and garlic with half the oil, half the tamari, and the 1/4 cup water.
- 4Coat tempeh in mixture.
- 5Broil close to heat, turning until each side is golden, about 3 minutes.
- 7Cut into 1/2-inch squares.
- 8Heat remaining oil over low heat.
- 9Saute red pepper flakes and onions until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 10Add carrots and saute 1 minute more.
- 11Add celery and saute 1 minute more.
- 12Add bell peppers, saute 1 minute more.
- 13Add corn and saute, covered, on low heat until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
- 14In a small bowl, mix vinegar, syrup, remaining tamari, and cayenne pepper.
- 15Add reserved tempeh and sauce to vegetables.
- 16Simmer 2-3 minutes.
- 17Mix arrowroot with 2 1/2 T. water.
- 18Add arrowroot mixture and simmer to thicken, 1-2 minutes.
- 19Serve over rice, if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Tempeh and Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1370.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 11.6 g