Recipe by #2
Tempeh is a mixture of tofu and brown rice. Much better texture and taste than tofu!
Top Review by qsvegan
Tempeh is made of soybeans, not tofu and rice. It's a staple protein source of many cultures, particularly in Indonesia. The soybeans are essentially allowed to mold with a particular fungus.
- 250 g tempeh
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can pineapple chunk
- 2 green peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tempeh into thin cubes of 2 cm.
- Add the vegetable stock and tamari and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain tempeh, reserving liquid for sauce.
- Heat a skillet and bake tempeh in the oil until lightly browned.
- Drain the pineapple chunks, adding the liquid to the sauce.
- Add sliced pepper and onion and bring to boiling point and let it cook for one minute.
- Put liquid from tempeh and pineapple juice into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 cups.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the honey or syrup.
- Dissolve the maizena in the vinegar and pour it into the sauce while stirring vigorously.
- Cook until thickened and bubbly.
- Then add peppers, onion, pineapple and tempeh.
- Serve with hot rice.