5 hrs 20 mins
The filling is prepared and mixed in the food processor. The actual cabbage rolls are made in the crockpot. Serve it over egg noodles. From "Family Circle" magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small green cabbage head, cored
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook cabbage about 15 minutes.
- 2Peel off 9 leaves (they should be pliable); remove tough stems and cut each leaf in half.
- 3Shred remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of the crockpot.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes: add garlic, cinnamon, and nutmeg, cook 1 minute.
- 5Remove half of the onion mixture and set aside; turn off heat to the skillet and stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar.
- 6In a food processor, pulse bread and milk to form a paste.
- 7Add reserved onion, ground beef, salt and pepper; pulse to combine well.
- 8On a work surface, place cabbage leaves with stem ends facing you.
- 9Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll up; place roll, seam side down, in the crockpot.
- 10Pour the sauce over top; cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- 11Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
- 12Serve cabbage rolls over the egg noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 400.9
- Calories from Fat 109
- Total Fat 12.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 601.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 24.7 g