Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The filling is prepared and mixed in the food processor. The actual cabbage rolls are made in the crockpot. Serve it over egg noodles. From "Family Circle" magazine.
- 1 small green cabbage head, cored
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 1⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups egg noodles, cooked
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook cabbage about 15 minutes.
- Peel off 9 leaves (they should be pliable); remove tough stems and cut each leaf in half.
- Shred remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes: add garlic, cinnamon, and nutmeg, cook 1 minute.
- Remove half of the onion mixture and set aside; turn off heat to the skillet and stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar.
- In a food processor, pulse bread and milk to form a paste.
- Add reserved onion, ground beef, salt and pepper; pulse to combine well.
- On a work surface, place cabbage leaves with stem ends facing you.
- Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of the meat mixture and roll up; place roll, seam side down, in the crockpot.
- Pour the sauce over top; cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
- Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package instructions.
- Serve cabbage rolls over the egg noodles.