Recipe by Tish
I grew up on sweet and sour cabbage and it is one of those great childhood memories!
Top Review by rk1031
Didn't miss the rice in this version of stuffed cabbage. Did add cider vinegar in addition to the lemon juice and a large can of plum tomato puree, some water (enough to cover the cabbages), ketchup and tomato paste to make a flavorful sauce to serve with the stuffed cabbages. Chopped up the remaining cabbage to cook in the sauce. Put everything in a dutch oven. Started on the stove top and once it came to a boil, transferred it to a 325 degree oven for an hour. Came out delicious.
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small potato, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil cabbage until leaves are pliable.
- Combine filling ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl combine the beef, grated vegies, and egg.
- Place a spoonful of this mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking in the ends securely.
- Combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, and brown sugar in a large heavy frying pan.
- Add cabbage rolls and add 1 cup water.
- Cover tightly and cook over moderate heat 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes longer.