Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I grew up on sweet and sour cabbage and it is one of those great childhood memories!
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small potato, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Boil cabbage until leaves are pliable.
- Combine filling ingredients.
- In a mixing bowl combine the beef, grated vegies, and egg.
- Place a spoonful of this mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf and roll up, tucking in the ends securely.
- Combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, and brown sugar in a large heavy frying pan.
- Add cabbage rolls and add 1 cup water.
- Cover tightly and cook over moderate heat 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes longer.
Didn't miss the rice in this version of stuffed cabbage. Did add cider vinegar in addition to the lemon juice and a large can of plum tomato puree, some water (enough to cover the cabbages), ketchup and tomato paste to make a flavorful sauce to serve with the stuffed cabbages. Chopped up the remaining cabbage to cook in the sauce. Put everything in a dutch oven. Started on the stove top and once it came to a boil, transferred it to a 325 degree oven for an hour. Came out delicious.