Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is out of a cookbook called "Clean Food"...it say that the secret to making noodles that stand up to stir-frying is to cook your noodles and then chill them before using.
- 1⁄2 lb udon noodles or 1⁄2 lb soba noodles
- 1 -2 head broccoli
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed and strings removed
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- Cook noodles according to directions on package.
- Drain in colander and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Place colander on a plate and refrigerate.
- Bring 2-3 cups water to boil.
- Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces.
- Peel and discard tough outer stems and cut remaining stems into chunks.
- Place prepared carrots and broccoli in bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit 2 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat wok or skillet over medium-high.
- Add grapeseed oil, garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.
- If anything starts to stick, add 1 tablespoon water.
- Add broccoli, carrots and snow peas, stir and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add pineapple, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 tablespoon mirin, 1 tablespoon soy sauce and cook 1 minute longer.
- Remove vegetables from wok and set aside.
- Pour remaining tablespoon of vinegar, mirin and soy sauce into empty wok.
- Fold in chilled noodles until evenly coated and heated through.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Transfer noodles to serving dish.
- Toss vegetables briefly in hot wok to reheat, drizzle with remaining tablespoon toasted sesame oil and spoon vegetables over noodles.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve.
Teresa.. What a nice recipe. Full of flavors, and made for a nice side to some ribs tonight. This made a nice choice for me on what to serve with the ribs. The vegetables were nicely cooked, and the liquids in this made this a definite winner . Loved the pineapple, it had a real nice taste with all the ingredients. Didn't change a thing in the recipe either. Made as written. Made for Zaar Stars.
So good! I made this recipe exactly as listed (shock!) and it turned out perfectly. I did add some shrimp in after I took the soba noodles out of the pan which was a nice addition. Made for the Rookie Recipe tag game. Thanks TeresaS! :)
Teresa, this was lovely, but I have to aoplogise for failing to realise that I didnt have pineapple in the pantry so I missed out a rather important ingredient! Therefor this was more stirfry than particularly sweet, but it really was good, and I followed all your tips about cooling and it worked very well. I added some baby sweetcorn, but otherwise, as is, except for the pineapple. I'll be making this again ... properly ;) Thank you Teresa, made for PRMR tag game