Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This sweet and sour chicken recipe is really yummy. I'm not normally a sweet 'n' sour fan, but I do love this recipe. I usually find sweet 'n' sour dishes are really sickly - but not this one! We usually have this with Basmati rice cooked with about 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 750 g chicken thigh fillets, sliced
- 1 (220 g) can pineapple chunks
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 -3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 (310 g) can mandarin segments, drained
- Heat oil in a wok or pan.
- Add chicken and stir fry until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove from wok/pan and drain on absorbent kitchen paper towels.
- Keep warm.
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the syrup.
- Drain any excess oil from wok (or pan).
- Mix together the cornflour and water, and add to the wok/pan with the reserved syrup, tomato and soy sauces, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and grated ginger.
- Add pineapple, chopped red pepper and celery.
- Cook for just 1 minute.
- Add chicken, spring onions and mandarin segments.
- Stir until heated through.
The kids thought this was great. I used fish instead of chicken, and they all wanted seconds !!! A definate keeper.
I used c.breasts, bitesized,+ also added baby carrots,it was great!!!
Thank you this was very yummy.