Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
A tangy warm bacon dressing pulls together all of the delicious elements in this great-tasting spring salad. The bowl looks colorful, thanks to the red onion and sunny hard-cooked eggs in the mixture. Recipe adapted from original by Vikki Rebholz.
Top Review by hollyberry117
This was great! I just crumbled my eggs on top though. Its easier and you don't have to worry about how the egg looks while peeling. I used bacon pieces since I had them on hand and it was still really good. I plan on making this again with some maple bacon I have in the freezer. Thanks - this is a keeper!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 18 cups fresh spinach, washed, spun dry, torn and chilled in advance
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 slices red onions
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, mustard and salt.
- Gradually stir in water and vinegar until smooth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir a small amount of hot dressing into beaten egg.
- Return all to the pan, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Place spinach in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle with warm dressing.
- Toss to coat.
- Top with the hard cooked eggs, bacon and onion.
- Serve immediately in chilled salad bowls.
- Note: An egg slicer, purchased inexpensively at a local food gadget store, greatly improves the looks of this salad.