Recipe by Amy in Hawaii
I got this recipe from my friend Gail Yamanaka. It uses country style spare ribs in a Chinese style sweet and sour sauce.
- 3 lbs country-style spareribs
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 15 ounces canned pineapple chunks (packed in its own juice, reserve liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice (add water if needed to make 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown spare ribs in garlic and oil in a heavy pot; drain excess fat.
- Mix together corn starch and soy sauce and pour over browned spareribs; cook until mixture thickens.
- Add sugar, vinegar, pineapple, reserved liquid and water, brown sugar and dried mustard.
- Bring to a boil and when mixture thickens, lower heat
- Cover; simmer one and one-half hours or until spare ribs are tender.