Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from my friend Gail Yamanaka. It uses country style spare ribs in a Chinese style sweet and sour sauce.
- 3 lbs country-style spareribs
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 15 ounces canned pineapple chunks (packed in its own juice, reserve liquid)
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple juice (add water if needed to make 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard
- Brown spare ribs in garlic and oil in a heavy pot; drain excess fat.
- Mix together corn starch and soy sauce and pour over browned spareribs; cook until mixture thickens.
- Add sugar, vinegar, pineapple, reserved liquid and water, brown sugar and dried mustard.
- Bring to a boil and when mixture thickens, lower heat
- Cover; simmer one and one-half hours or until spare ribs are tender.
Very tasty! We enjoy trying foods from different parts of the USA. Thank you for sharing, our whole family would like this recipe to be prepared again.
I haven't cooked spare ribs in so long that I followed this recipe almost exactly. I added a few Star of Anise to give it a more Chinese flavor and used a larger can of pineapples. "ONO" as we say in Hawaii.