Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
adapted from the Carefree Cook Book. Posted for ZWT 7. Serve with Hot cooked Rice.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1⁄4 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined (21 to 25 count)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeds and ribs removed, and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- To make the sauce base, sprinkle the cornstarch over 1/3 cup water in a small bowl and whisk to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the broth, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat a 12 inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablesppon of the oil and swirl the skillet to slick the bottom with oil. Add the shrimp and stir-fry just until the shrimp turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon ili to the skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the red pepper and stir until it begins to soften, about ` minute, Add the scallions and stir until they begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the pineapple and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and garlic and stir-fry until the garlic gives off its aroma, about 1 minute. Pour in the sauce base and brin to a boil to thicken the sauce stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot, spooned over rice.