Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my version of sweet & sour shrimp. I've tried and tried to find the exact recipe I was looking for but never found it, so I just made my own! I hope you enjoy it :) I like to use fresh pineapple, but if you cant thats fine. The chunks are optional... I use them sometimes, and othertimes I just leave them out. Dont use a lot of pineapple chunks, because its too overwhelming! :)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped into large pieces
- 4 carrots, chopped into large but thin pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne (or more to your tastes)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (about twenty or so 26-30 count shrimp)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 small pineapple chunks (optional)
- In a large skillet or in a wok, heat your oil to medium heat, and then add the carrot, tossing very frequently.
- Allow the carrot to cook for about 4 minutes.
- Then add your onion, and cook for another 4 minutes or so, and then add your garlic, cooking for another minute or so.
- In a liquid measuring cup, add your soy sauce, brown sugar, juice, vinegar and cayenne.
- Add your liquid mixture to the skillet and bring to a heavy simmer.
- Add your shrimp, and cook until your shrimp is done (pink on both sides) approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Don't overcook your shrimp.
- At this time, you can throw in your pineapple chunks if you wish to use them.
- While your shrimp is cooking, mix your cornstarch with approximately 4-5 tablespoons of water (just enough to make it a liquid mixture-you may need a little more or a little less because I never measure the amount of water I use).
- Add the cornstarch mixture to your pan, and sir constantly until thick- this will not take very long at all.
- You may turn your heat down to medium-low.
- Serve with rice.
Very good! I didn't have any pineapple juice so added some wine but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Next time I will add bell peppers and other veggies. Thanks for sharing!
My family loved this! The only change I made was to add sliced water chestnuts and green bell pepper. The flavor and consistency of the sauce is spot on. Thanks for sharing this excellent recipe.
This was perfect! Thank you from my picky husband and me. Very good.