1/2 Photos of Sweet and Sour Shrimp & Vegetables
This is my version of sweet & sour shrimp. I've tried and tried to find the exact recipe I was looking for but never found it, so I just made my own! I hope you enjoy it :) I like to use fresh pineapple, but if you cant thats fine. The chunks are optional... I use them sometimes, and othertimes I just leave them out. Dont use a lot of pineapple chunks, because its too overwhelming! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped into large pieces
- 4 carrots, chopped into large but thin pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne (or more to your tastes)
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (about twenty or so 26-30 count shrimp)
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 small pineapple chunks (optional)
- 1In a large skillet or in a wok, heat your oil to medium heat, and then add the carrot, tossing very frequently.
- 2Allow the carrot to cook for about 4 minutes.
- 3Then add your onion, and cook for another 4 minutes or so, and then add your garlic, cooking for another minute or so.
- 4In a liquid measuring cup, add your soy sauce, brown sugar, juice, vinegar and cayenne.
- 5Add your liquid mixture to the skillet and bring to a heavy simmer.
- 6Add your shrimp, and cook until your shrimp is done (pink on both sides) approximately 3-4 minutes.
- 7Don't overcook your shrimp.
- 8At this time, you can throw in your pineapple chunks if you wish to use them.
- 9While your shrimp is cooking, mix your cornstarch with approximately 4-5 tablespoons of water (just enough to make it a liquid mixture-you may need a little more or a little less because I never measure the amount of water I use).
- 10Add the cornstarch mixture to your pan, and sir constantly until thick- this will not take very long at all.
- 11You may turn your heat down to medium-low.
- 12Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Shrimp & Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 147.2 mg
- Sodium 2018.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 20.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar