Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003.
- 6 tablespoons chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice or 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup chunks green bell pepper (1-inch)
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 6 tablespoons sliced green onions
- hot white fluffy cooked rice, accompaniment
- In a bowl combine 1/4 cup stock, ketchup, sugar, juice, vinegar, soy, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper flakes.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of stock and stir to dissolve.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the shrimp with ginger, garlic and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes.
- Set aside for 10-20 minutes.
- Heat a large wokk or skillet over high heat.
- Add the oil, swirling to coat the sides and bottom of the pan. Add the shrimp, garlic and ginger and stir-fry until pink, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the onions and peppers and stir-fry until crisp tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil.
- Return the shrimp to pan and add pineapple, cherries, and green onions.
- Cook until the sauce is thick, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice.