Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sweet and sour chicken is deep-fried breaded white meat chicken, coated or served with sweet and sour sauce. This recipe isn’t exactly a 30-minute meal – it takes a little bit of time and preparation, but if you have a few extra minutes, this sesame chicken is 100% worth it. I love how crunchy the chicken is and that the sauce thickens beautifully to coat the chicken. It’s not too thin, but not gloopy either; just right. Toss the chicken on a bed of white rice and top with toasted sesame seeds and chopped scallions, and you’ll be in dinner heaven. From bestyummyrecipes.com http://www.bestyummyrecipes.com/sweet-sour-sesame-chicken/
- 10 ounces raw boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into nuggets
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free pancake syrup
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Top with egg substitute and toss to coat.
- Put flour in wide bowl. One at a time, shake nuggets to remove excess egg and coat with flour. Evenly lay on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- To make the sauce, combine broth with cornstarch in a nonstick skillet; whisk to dissolve. Set heat to medium low. Add syrup, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic. Mix well. Cook and stir until thick enough to coat a spoon, 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions. If you like, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Eat up!