Recipe by Barb G.
This recipe come from heart healthy.com. This salad or side dish is good and good for you. This makes a large amount, eighteen 1/2 cup servings,easy to cut recipe in half, great for a crowd or potluck. The marinade time is 24 hours. Drain the marinade before serving this dish in order to lower the fat and sodium while keeping all the good taste.
Top Review by umscheid319
I thought this recipe was great! I made it for the first time the other day and took it to work for a potluck and everyone loved it! I used half sugar and half Splenda and red wine vinegar. I also added cherry tomatoes and black olives but didn't use onions and didn't serve on lettuce leaves just for convience. It still turned out great! I will be making this a lot more! Thanks for the great recipe!
- 1 lb uncooked small shell pasta (about 9 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar or 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- black pepper
- 1 (2 ounce) jarsliced pimiento
- 2 small cucumbers
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 18 leaves lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water, drain, and drain again, stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl, in blender, place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimento; Process at low speed for 15 to 20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen; pour over pasta.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines, cut cucumber in lengthwise, then slice thinly; add to pasta with onion slices, TOSS Well.
- Marinade, covered, in refrigerator for 24 hours; stir occasionally; Drain,and serve on lettuce.