Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe in Gourmet magazine---it is a delicious make-ahead side dish. Serve with brats and beer for Oktoberfest. Posted for ZWT4.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
- 10 whole allspice, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to moderate, and add cumin and allspice and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes (including juice), brown sugar, salt, and pepper and simmer. Break up tomatoes and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir in sauerkraut and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until most of liquid is absorbed (about 30 minutes).