Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 4 tablespoons catsup
- In 2 quart saucepan, mix sugar and starch.
- Add enough water to pineapple liquid to make 2 cups.
- Stir juice mixture, vinegar,& catsup into starch mixture.
- Cook stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils.
- Stir in pineapple.
- Keep warm over very low heat.
I found this to be excellent although I couldn't help tinkering just a bit. I added a little more sugar and some orange juice. I also added some red food coloring to get a more appetizing color.
The PERFECT sweet 'n' sour sauce--just what I was looking for and I had all the ingredients in the house already. I just added a touch of ground ginger and garlic powder...
The only thing I had a little problem with was the oz. configurations. I added 2 cans of chopped apricots to the mixture (I had to scale the recipe to 10) that I chopped and used that juice along with a cup of orange juice instead of water. It was used over pork during and after cooking time. My entire family and guest enjoyed it. I was also asked for the recipe.