Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
So savory I consider it a comfort food. Can be a side salad or a main dish if you include the chicken. I vary the amounts and ingredients depending on what I have on hand--different kinds of onions (scallions) or nuts (walnuts) or fruit (pears) or cheese (feta), as long as I stick to the basic flavor combination. I sometimes add spinach. The dressing is what ties it all together. Serve within the hour or wait to pour on the dressing. Tip: I toast the nuts by microwaving them on plate for a couple minutes, and stirring once or twice so they evenly brown.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, in bite size pieces
- 1 cup mandarin orange
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 2 tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced (optional)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, gently combine all the salad ingredients and then top with avocado, mandarins and cheese.
- Whisk the oil, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in the vinegar and pepper.
- Pour over the salad and gently toss, so that the dressing coats the whole salad.
This salad / meal in a bowl was awesome! I used feta, walnuts and green onions besides the Romaine and chicken, avocado and dried cranberries. I started eating it before the dressing got on to it and just continued from there!! Too good!