Literary Mom's Note:
So savory I consider it a comfort food. Can be a side salad or a main dish if you include the chicken. I vary the amounts and ingredients depending on what I have on hand--different kinds of onions (scallions) or nuts (walnuts) or fruit (pears) or cheese (feta), as long as I stick to the basic flavor combination. I sometimes add spinach. The dressing is what ties it all together. Serve within the hour or wait to pour on the dressing. Tip: I toast the nuts by microwaving them on plate for a couple minutes, and stirring once or twice so they evenly brown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, in bite size pieces
- 1 cup mandarin orange
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 2 tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced (optional)
- 1In a large bowl, gently combine all the salad ingredients and then top with avocado, mandarins and cheese.
- 2Whisk the oil, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in the vinegar and pepper.
- 3Pour over the salad and gently toss, so that the dressing coats the whole salad.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Salad
Serving Size: 1 (450 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 836.7
- Calories from Fat 686
- Total Fat 76.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 1099.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 21.1 g
- Protein 12.5 g