Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 min
Posted as a request for vegetarian OAMC recipes. Adapted from "The Best Freezer Cookbook" by J. Main
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 apples, cored and diced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (or additional stock)
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 medium red cabbage, finely shredded (about 10 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and apples and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cabbage and corn starch and water, and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage; cover and simmer over medium heat for 45 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Blend cornstarch and water together and add to cabbage mixture. Cook until slightly thickened and then remove bay leaf.
- To Freeze: Cool completely. Freeze up to 3 months in a freezer bag or freezer container, being sure to label contents before freezing.
- To serve: thaw overnight int he fridge and then heat on stovetop or in microwave.
This recipe was the most delicious red cabbage I have ever had. I used semi-sweet red wine and apple cider vinegar because that's what I had and it turned out great. The cabbage had the perfect amount of sweetness and was perfectly tender after 40 minutes. I added more liquid than called for and just strained the excess before serving. Thanks for this great recipe!