Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the October 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times. I used walnuts instead of chestnuts and it turned out great. I served this with roasted potatoes and squash, making this a delish fall meal.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 large sweet-tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped (such as Gala or Idared)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 lbs red cabbage, cored, quartered, and thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chestnuts, chopped
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, and saute 4 minutes or until brown. Stir in soy sauce and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 5 minutes or until liquid has absorbed, turning occasionally. Cool and cut tempeh into small squares.
- Heat remaining 1 Tbsp in oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and onion and saute for 12 minutes. Stir in cabbage, sweet cider, vinegar and brown sugar. Reduce heat to medium and partially cover skillet. Cook 25 minutes, or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in tempeh and chestnuts, season with salt and pepper.