Recipe by Hugce
Delicious...especially served with Sauerbraten - German pot roast and Potato dumplings...a fabulous German feast!!
Top Review by Hausfrau
This is wonderful! I made it as part of a family "German food" night last year, it was a big hit! I did whisk together the vinegar, sugar and cinnamon into a "dressing" prior to adding to the cabbage, onions and apples--it made it a little easier to blend everything together in the pot. All the prep is definitely worth it for this dish!
- 1 head red cabbage, shredded coarsely
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 apple
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and fry in large pot; remove cooked bacon; add onion to bacon fat and brown lightly.
- Add cabbage and sprinkle with salt.
- Do not stir; cover and lower heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, apple and cinnamon; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix in fried bacon and serve.
- A must served with Sauerbraten- German pot roast.