Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A different and delicious side dish that adds color and texture to many dishes, dressing up everything from grilled meats to roasts. I like to serve this with barbequed brisket or pork tenderloin and get a lot of requests for the recipe. Originally from a local paper's food section.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage, about 1 lb. cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, cover and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, and brown sugar;mix well.
- Cook, stirring often, until cabbage turns bright purple and is crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and serve immediately or at room temperature.