Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Wonderfully different and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 2 bosc pears or 2 Asian pears, peeled,cored,and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (2 lb.)
- 1 cup pear juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup dried currant
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a big saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and carrot; cover.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Uncover saucepan and add in the pears.
- Cook, uncovered for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onion is golden brown.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low; cover.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the cabbage is tender.
- Increase the heat to med-high and cook, stirring frequently until the liquid is evaporated.
- Serve hot.