Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Subtler than many versions, and diabetic-friendly, this is good with pork, duck, or turkey. Use a serrated bread knife to shred the cabbage, it's much easier. From "diabetes Cooking for Everyone", by Carol Gelles. Exchanges: 1/4 other carbohydrate, 1/4 fruit, 1 1/4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage and onion; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and continue to cook, stirring, until all liquid has evaporated and cabbage is soft, about 4 minutes.