Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Real comfort food. This is my family's favorite beef recipe. This is a very flexible recipe. You can really use a 4-6 lb roast and can change the vegetables as you like - ie add carrots or leave out mushrooms. The main thing is the marinade.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients to make the marinade.
- Pour over beef and marinate in the refrigerator 2 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven on top of the stove.
- Add onions, cook briefly and then move to the side of the pan.
- Brown the beef on all sides.
- Add the potatoes, mushrooms and leftover marinade to the pan. The vegetables should be mixed with the onions with the meat on top.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and place in the oven.
- Check after a couple hours and add water if necessary.
- Bake around 4 hours or until the meat is falling apart tender.
Delicious! I must admit that I was skeptical about sugar, honey and lemon in a pot roast, but it really had a nice balance of flavors and my house smelled wonderful while it was cooking. There was plenty of sauce for the roast and veggies -- I substituted carrots for mushrooms because they are my favorite. Of course, I left the potatoes -- my DH would have gone on strike if not. Served this dish with Savory Cheddar Zucchini Cornbread. Made for Spring PAC, 2012.