Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simple ingredients sometimes make the best meals. This is a favourite.
- 750 g potatoes (King Edward are good)
- 50 g butter
- 100 ml milk
- 2 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic, grated into a paste
- 4 pork fillets
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes, cut into chunks, rinse and boil until tender.
- Add the butter and milk together in a pan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Mash the potatoes directly into the hot milk, beating lots until they're fluffy.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the mash.
- Beat again and season with salt and pepper.
- Add more lemon juice and a bit of nutmeg if you like.
- While the potatoes are cooking, trim one lemon and split it lengthways.
- Take out the seeds, then slice the lemon as thin as you can.
- Pre-heat a frying pan or grill.
- When very hot, put the meat in and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread the uncooked side with garlic and sprinkle with sugar.
- Turn and cook.
- Just before the pork is cooked and the sugar is melted, remove it from the heat and cover with the lemon slices.
- Grill for a few minutes longer, until the lemon is soft.
- Serve with the mashed potatoes.