Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
These are great served at a get together or for a meal with rice.
Top Review by Foggy Kitchen
Great basic! I lack the gene that allows me to follow a recipe, but I got here the inspiration, and it was super. Changes? I used Panko instead of breadcrumbs. White onion instead of green. Jarred ginger puree. Homemade hot spicy ketchup. All good. Thanks.
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 -3 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 large green onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 lb ground pork
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated gingerroot
Directions See How It's Made
- For meatballs: In a large bowl, beat egg until frothy.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, fresh garlic (if using) 2 tbsp green onions, carrot, gingerroot, salt and pepper; mix in the ground pork.
- Roll pork mixture into 1-inch balls.
- Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet, in a 375 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink inside.
- For sweet and sour sauce: in a bowl, whisk together, pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, maple syrup and cornstarch; set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and fresh ginger, stirring often, for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in pineapple juice mixture; bring to a light boil, reduce heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the meatballs to coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Cover and bake in 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes stirring often.
- Sprinkle with remaining green onions.
- Note: these meatballs can be made ahead of time, and frozen until ready to use in this dish, just shape into balls and freeze on a cookie sheet.