Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Healthy Cooking For Two, by Brenda Shriver.
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Pork recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb pork loin chop, all visible fat removed
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, packed in own juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 cup onion, cut into thin rings
- 2 -3 cups cooked rice
- Cut pork into 1/2" strips.
- Drain pineapple; set aside; reserve juice.
- In med bowl, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; add pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce, and broth; stir and set aside.
- Heat oil in med skillet on med high; add pork stirring quickly until tender and browned.
- Drain meat on a paper towel; keep warm.
- Wipe skillet with another paper towel.
- Add juice mix to skillet; cook over med heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add the meat; simmer for about five minutes.
- Add green pepper and onion, continue to simmer for five minutes.
- Add pineapple; cover and simmer for about ten minutes more.
- Serve over rice.
Tasty sauce and easy to make. However, I found the pork a bit dry...think it was overcooked, and I didn't think there was quite enough sauce (I like to use the sauce with my rice too). If I try it again I would not re-add the meat until the pineapple goes in and may reduce the 10 minutes cooking time in that step. I would also increase the sauce ingredients.
really good....i didnt have crushed pineapple so i used tidbits and crushed them myself, still worked...a little bit on the sweet side, but i made a savory fried rice to go with it so it balanced it out!
Big hit, family loved it, I loved that it was easy, and healthy. I added a mix of veggies, over steamed rice. Simple, quick..