A delicious appetizer that can be made a day ahead and reheated just before serving. A touch of the tropics! Posted for ZWT3
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red peppers or 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks (reserve syrup)
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine (optional)
- chopped green onion (to garnish)
- MAKE MEATBALLS:.
- Prepare meatballs by combining all ingredients (except the butter) and mixing well. Form into small meatballs.
- Fry the meatballs in butter a few at a time until browned and cooked through. Drain well, set aside.
- MAKE SAUCE:.
- Prepare sauce by heating oil in a skillet. Add salt, onion and red or green pepper and cook until tender but not browned. Drain oil.
- Combine catsup and vinegar and stir into the onion & pepper mixture.
- Make a paste with the cornstarch and reserved pineapple syrup. Add to the vegetable mixture and cook, stirring, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in pineapple chunks and sherry. Simmer 3 minutes then add the meatballs. Heat through.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with chopped green onion and serve.
I loved the nutmeg in these and will make my meatballs like that for now on. The only change is I would add more breadcrumbs as the meatballs were too soft. I love the sauce and now I don't have to buy bottled! I will definately make again. Made for ZWT 5.