Recipe by threeovens
I don't always have enough peppers or even want to can them, so I've cut this recipe down so it can fit into one jar and be stored in the refrigerator. What could be easier! The original recipe is from "Better Homes and Gardens, Can It!"
- 3⁄4 lb bell pepper (it looks better if you use a mix of red, green, yellow and orange)
- 1⁄2 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stem end and seeds from the peppers; slice in long, thin strips and place in a bowl with the onions.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegars, celery seeds, peppercorns, mustard seeds, garlic, bay leaf, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pack pepper and onion in a hot, sterilized pint jar; pour hot vinegar mix over top and let cool.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 6 months.