1/2 Photos of Sweet and Sour Pickled Bell Peppers by the Jar
I don't always have enough peppers or even want to can them, so I've cut this recipe down so it can fit into one jar and be stored in the refrigerator. What could be easier! The original recipe is from "Better Homes and Gardens, Can It!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb bell pepper (it looks better if you use a mix of red, green, yellow and orange)
- 1/2 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Remove stem end and seeds from the peppers; slice in long, thin strips and place in a bowl with the onions.
- 2In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, vinegars, celery seeds, peppercorns, mustard seeds, garlic, bay leaf, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 3Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4Pack pepper and onion in a hot, sterilized pint jar; pour hot vinegar mix over top and let cool.
- 5Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Pickled Bell Peppers by the Jar
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 78.6
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 0.3 g