Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tender, peppery chicken breast strips are pan-fried then bathed in a unique, delicious sweet and sour cherry sauce. Serve with rice and garnish with green onion slices.
For the chicken
- 1 lb chicken breasts, strips or 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the dish
- 1 (16 ounce) canpitted dark sweet cherries, liquid reserved
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 green onions, sliced (for garnish) (optional)
- Combine cornstarch, onion powder, black pepper and allspice in a plastic zipper bag.
- Dip chicken strips in beaten egg, then shake in bag with cornstarch, to coat.
- Pan-fry in a large skillet until fully cooked and golden, about 10 minutes, turning once.
- Combine syrup from cherries, water, sugar, white vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to boil.
- Whisk 1 tbsp.
- cornstarch with a little water to dissolve it evenly (this step is VERY important), then add to syrup mixture.
- Simmer together, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, then stir in cherries until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken strips and garnish with green onions.
I love this recipe, it's fast and easy to make and it tastes delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.
This was delightful as well as beautiful. What a great combination of textures, flavors and colors. The perfect company dish, especially if it's just you. Far easier to put together than the list of ingredients might imply.