1/4 Photos of Sweet and Sour Panfried Sole
A Williams-Sonoma recipe that is quick, delicious and has an Asian twist! I like to serve this with rice and a steamed veggie. This is a great method for any white fish, with or without the sauce. Enjoy. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml rice vinegar
- 14.79 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 44.37 ml ketchup
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 29.58 ml flour (heaping)
- 236.59 ml panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 dover sole fillets (I ended up with about 3/4 pound/6 fillets for 4 people since they were sliced very thin)
- 44.37 ml peanut oil (might need more, especially if you cook the fish in batches)
- 1Make the Sauce:.
- 2Set a small saucepan over medium heat and stir together 1/4 cup water and the vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, sesame oil, sugar and cornstarch. Bring this to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens - about 1 minute. Keep warm.
- 3Prep the Fish:.
- 4Lightly beat the eggs in a shallow pie dish. Spread the flour on one plate and the panko on another plate. Season the flour with a pinch each of the salt and pepper. Season the sole with a bit of salt on each side and then dip them first into the flour, then into the egg and finally the panko, coating each side evenly. You may want to press the panko into the fish with your fingertips to make sure it adheres well.
- 6Heat a large nonstick skillet over med.-high to high heat until just hot and then add the oil. Add the fish and fry, turning once, until golden brown on both sides (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Depending on how big your pan is/ how many filets you have, you may need to fry the fish in batches. Have the extra oil handy in case the pan gets too dry while cooking.
- 7Drain the fish on paper towels briefly. Then serve the fish fillets with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Panfried Sole
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.6
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 166.3 mg
- Sodium 974.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 27.7 g