Recipe by Barb in WNY
This savory side dish goes well with chicken, ribs, or burgers. Serve hot, chilled or at room temperature.
- 4 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice onions about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place in 1 1/2 quart saucepan.
- Add vinegar, sugar, catsup, salt and water.
- Water should half cover the onions.
- Cover pan and bring to a boil, turning heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until onions are crisp tender.
- Add a small amount of water to the cornstarch and stir to a smooth paste.
- Stir into onion mixture, cooking and stirring until smooth and translucent.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve at once, cool to room temperature, or chill before serving.