Recipe by Brendall
Sweet and Sour Meatloaf, from Quick Cooking; Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 starch.
Top Review by Whinyard
I have made this recipe many times, but my favorite way to fix it is in the crockpot instead of the microwave. I just cook it on low for about 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, and it is so scrumptious! The flavors blend way better than in the microwave. But if you need it in a hurry, the microwave method is the way to go!
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ketchup, mustard, bread crumbs, dry soup mix, salt and pepper.
- Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into an oval loaf.
- Place in a shallow 1-qt microwave-safe dish; cover with waxed paper.
- Microwave on high for 11-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, rotating a half turn once; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, vinegar and remaining ketchup; drizzle over meat loaf.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.