1/1 Photo of Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Oriental Sweet and Sour Meatballs)
This is one of my recipes I like to use for special occasions such as at my Christmas 'open house' and New Years Day buffet. It is a great addition to a buffet and is definitely a crowd pleaser at potlucks. I often prepare double batches of the meatballs, bake them in the oven, freeze on a cookie sheet and when frozen slip them into a plastic bag. This allows me to take out as many as I need for the meal I am preparing. Found this recipe hand written on a sheet of paper tucked in a cookbook picked up at a yard sale.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb ground beef (I use all ground beef)
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch or 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 small onion, chopped fine (best minced or grated)
- 1/4 cup water chestnut, chopped fine (optional)
SWEET AND SOUR
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup white sugar (You may wish to use less)
- 2 3/4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water (I use the drained juice from one 19 ounce can of pineapple chunks plus water to equal one cup)
- 1 cup pineapple chunk, drained (I use one 19 ounce can of pineapple chunks)
- 1 green pepper, cut into small squares
- 1 red pepper, cut into small squares (optional)
- 1 carrot, cut into thin slices (I use more ...about 4)
- 1In large mixing bowl combine and mix: ground meat, sugar, black pepper, dry ginger, soy sauce, the tapioca or cornstarch, minced onion and(the water chestnuts if using).
- 2Knead above for at least two minutes to insure proper marination, form into even sized balls.
- 3Fry in oil and drain (I never fry my meatballs, I put them on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about twenty minutes or until done.).
- 4Meanwhile make the Sweet and Sour Sauce: in sauce pot on medium heat whisk together vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, the tapioca starch or cornstarch, the cup of water (or water/pineapple juice mix) Bring to boil stirring while cooking. (I find using a whisk to stir works very well).
- 5When mixture reaches boiling point add the meatballs and heat through.
- 6Add the carrots, peppers and pineapple chunks and cook until vegetables are 'just done'. Do not overcook.
- 7NOTE: This can be made ahead and refrigerated. It can then be quickly reheated in the microwave and kept hot in a Crockpot. This freezes well.
- 8I also find cooking the carrots separately and then adding, assures they don't get overcooked.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Sour Meatballs (Oriental Sweet and Sour Meatballs)
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.5
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.2 mg
- Sodium 333.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 34.8 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: