This is a recipe my mom made for years and years. I've made it for parties as well as when I've had company over for supper. Everyone loves these meatballs. These meatballs are made without the addition of pineapple.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- oregano, to taste
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- For meatballs: Mix all ingredients (minus oil) together. Form into balls. Fry in oil until golden then place on paper towel to drain. Set aside
- For Sauce: In medium saucepan, fry onion in oil until tender. Add all other sauce ingredients and simmer 20 minutes. Add meatballs and cook 1 hour on medium. Serve and Enjoy!
- *You can also place browned meatballs and sauce mix into crock pot.
We compared these to the grape jelly and chili sauce meatball recipe posted by someone else and this recipe won, hands down! Thank you, Pamma, I'm sure this will be a hit at my New Year's Party.
These were SO good!! We doubled the meatballs and tripled the sauce. I did bake the meatballs instead of frying them. Served over rice with steamed veggies. I agree with some of the other post next time I will decrease the ketchup just a little bit. Had the left overs for lunch today and the sauce was even better today! We will be making these again.
sooo goooooood! I baked my balls ;) for 35 mins at 350 degrees then put them in a pot with the sauce and let it simmer and do its thing while i waited for my bf to come home from work. He loooooved them. I am so full! lol
Served them with rice. =)
edit: I also only used 1/2 cup of ketchup and it was perfecto!