Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
These meatballs are always a hit at parties and any other gatherings. I can't remember a time when I've made them and someone hasn't wanted the recipe. They aren't the type you'd want to put on pasta with pasta sauce, but they are great with basmati rice. They freeze very well also. It's a large recipe, suited for parties, but it can be made in smaller batches.
- 4 lbs lean hamburger
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium diced onion
- 4 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dry mustard
- Combine all ingredients for the meatballs and mix very well, ensuring all ingredients are combined well together.
- Form meatballs in bite size pieces, or your desired size and place in a dark roaster.
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce and pour over the meatballs.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 1 - 2 hours, depending on your oven and if the meatballs are layered or not. Cooking time does vary depending on layers of meatballs and the size. Do not cover.
- Sauce will thicken and meatballs will be a rich brown color.
- I baste mine and turn the meatballs every 15 - 20 minutes or so after the first 30 minutes, but not really necessary if the meatballs are covered in sauce.