Recipe by Dienia B.
Ceil Dyers Wok Cookery 1981; has brussel sprouts in it.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
These are fabulous! I loved the horseradish in the meatballs, that's a great idea. Also the combination of brussel sprouts and pineapple was very tasty. Thanks for sharing this winner!
Made for Chinese / Vietnamese New Year Tag Game 2012.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1⁄8 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 10 ounces Brussels sprouts, cooked
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can water chestnuts
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained, reserve juice
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef with breadcrumbs, egg, coriander and horseradish; mix together. Make 8 balls.
- Roll balls in 1/8 cup cornstarch.
- Heat oil; brown meat balls; set aside.
- Fry garlic and onion.
- Add brussel sprouts, water chestnuts and drained pineapple chunks (with juice reserved for later).
- In sauce pan combine ingredients and cook until thick.
- Add mixture to meatballs and heat until warmed.
- Add meatballs then add sweet and sour sauce ingredients; stir until thickened.