Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is very good served over rice.
Make and share this Sweet And Sour Meatballs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 green peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Drain pineapple, save 1/2 cup juice.
- In lg bowl, mix egg, crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add beef and mix well.
- Shape into 40 meatballs.
- In skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain.
- Add peppers, broth, and pineapple chunks.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Stir in vinegar, soy sauce and reserved pineapple juice.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add to meatballs; bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
my family and i loved these. i doubled it for my family of 6 and we had leftovers which is great! i served it over rice. we loved the sweet and sour sauce. the most time-consuming part for making the meatballs, but that's probably because i doubled the ground beef. still, altogether, it was a fairly quick and easy weekend dinner.
I served this at my husband's surprise birthday party as an appetizer (without rice). The theme was a Hawaiian Luau. I set the wooden picks beside the dish so people could eat as a finger food. I made the meatballs the night before, and made the sauce the day of the party. Kept the meatballs/sauce warm during the party with a Chaffing Dish. Everyone really loved them! Nothing was left! Would definetely make again.
I had high hopes for this recipe, since everyone has given it high marks, but I was sadly disappointed in my results. The meatballs and sauce just didn't taste right to me, and I'm not a novice to asian cookery. Well, perhaps others might enjoy this recipe, but I don't think I will make it again, thanks. Sorry!