Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Meat balls with an asian twist, always popular when served as an appetiser.
- 1 kg ground beef
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups stale breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- oil, for shallow frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups bottled sweet and sour sauce, warmed
- lime slice (to garnish)
- Using hands, combine ground beef, spring onions, breadcrumbs, garlic, oyster sauce,egg, sesame oil,sesame seeds and five spice powder.
- Mix well.
- Shape tablespoons of mix into balls, place onto an oven tray.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Shallow fry meat balls in hot oil, in batches until browned all over, drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to an oven tray brushing with 1/2 cup of sweet and sour sauce.
- Cook in moderate oven for about 10 minutes, or until balls are cooked through.
- To serve, insert a toothpick into each ball with a small thin lime slice.
- Serve with remaining sweet and sour sauce.