Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a variation of a few different recipes. I use ground turkey, to reduce the fat, but it tastes great made with any ground meat. My picky kids call these Sweetballs. They gobble them up, always asking for 2nds!!! This is great served over rice with a side of vegetables.
- 3 lbs ground turkey (or other ground meat)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water (or extra vinegar, depending on taste.)
- Mix all meatball ingredients together in a medium bowl, roll into balls and place in glass baking dish lined with foil. *If using ground turkey you may want to add a little oil to tinfoil, or turn often during cooking*.
- Bake at 400 F for 20-30 mins, or until cooked through.
- Remove meatballs from pan, discard tinfoil, replace meatballs, set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar and flour, mix until well blended.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium heat stirring often until thickened slightly, about 5-10 min *If you like a more tangy sauce you can replace as much of the water with white vinegar as you'd like*.
- Pour the sauce over the prepared meatballs, cover with foil and bake in the oven at 350 F for 30 minutes Stir once or twice during baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes, serve over rice.
The sauce was perfect! I used a little more vinegar and less water and I think it turned out great. I would add some salt and pepper to the meat, but other than that this recipe is a keeper. Made for PAC Fall 08.
This is simple and very good. I used ground beef. Made for PAC Fall 2007. Thanks :)