Recipe by - Carla -
Lentils are packed with nutrients, fiber, complex carbohydrates, and folic acid. They are low in calories, fat and cholesterol free, which make them a healthy meal alternative. Serve over rich brown rice and a delicious meal.
Top Review by ladypit
We like this recipe a lot. Well, I do, the rest of my family just tolerates it because they don't love lentils as much as I do. This has a nice flavor and is not hard to make. I prefer it with the pineapple juice. I've actually been known to drain the juice off a can of pineapple chunks to use in this recipe and then serve the kids the pineapple chunks with dinner!
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium sauteed onion
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot combine lentils, water, bouillon cubes, bay and salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until lentils are tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve over brown rice for a complete, delicious and healthy meal.