Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is wonderful served with grilled chicken, fish or pork. You can replace the plum for mango for a tropical twist! Plan ahead this needs to chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vidalia onions, finely diced (or use other sweet onions)
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh red plums, peeled and finely diced
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (can use more)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (no more than a teaspoon or it will be overpowering!)
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan combine the onions, orange juice, water and sugar; bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 3 minutes or until most of the liquid is almost evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Place the onion mixture in a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Stir in the plums and remaining ingredients; cover and chill for a minumum of 3 hours before serving.
I made this with yellow plums instead of red and I didn't measure the fresh jalapeno, just used half a jalapeno (seeded). The pepper was a welcome kick to the the otherwise sweet salsa (there was no 'sour' despite the recipe's name) without making it too spicy. We ate this with tortilla chips alongside guacamole and other dips as a starter for a company potluck.