This recipe can also be made with pork, the recipe may be doubled if desired --- this is very good!
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Hawaiian Beef Crock Pot recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef sirloin (cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces, or use a cut of beef of choice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut into about 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cider vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce and garlic.
- Add/stir in the brown sugar until completely dissolved; set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper then brown in hot oil on all sides.
- Place the browned meat in the slow cooker along with the red pepper flakes.
- Add in carrots and onion to the slow cooker.
- Pour the pineapple juice mixture over the veggies and beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7-9 hours or on HIGH heat for about 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Increase the heat to HIGH.
- Dissolve the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture, pineapple chunks and green pepper into the beef mixture in the slow cooker.
- Continue to cook for about 30 minutes, or until the green pepper is crisply tender and the juices are thickened.
- Serve with cooked rice.