Prep 25 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This recipe can also be made with pork, the recipe may be doubled if desired --- this is very good!
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and reserve juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef sirloin (cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces, or use a cut of beef of choice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut into about 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, cider vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, soy sauce and garlic.
- Add/stir in the brown sugar until completely dissolved; set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper then brown in hot oil on all sides.
- Place the browned meat in the slow cooker along with the red pepper flakes.
- Add in carrots and onion to the slow cooker.
- Pour the pineapple juice mixture over the veggies and beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7-9 hours or on HIGH heat for about 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Increase the heat to HIGH.
- Dissolve the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture, pineapple chunks and green pepper into the beef mixture in the slow cooker.
- Continue to cook for about 30 minutes, or until the green pepper is crisply tender and the juices are thickened.
- Serve with cooked rice.
This was a good recipe! I made it as written, and it turned out well and was tasty over rice. We found that it lacked a little something, though, so next time I'd increase the red pepper and add some other seasonings to spice it up a bit. Thanks for sharing!
My family loved this recipe. I cooked it for an hour longer, and added in a teaspoon of ginger powder. This has taken over as our fav red meat recipe. My family liked that the sauce was so yummy over hot rice. LOVED IT!
Doubled this recipe in the crock and made exactly as written = super tasty recipe, Kittencal! We enjoyed it over rice with a side of homegrown tomatoes... delish! Thank you for sharing!