Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Microwave Entertaining. Be wary of cooking times for your microwave, this is a rather old cook book, and I believe the wattages have gone up from the time it was published. My suggestion is if you have a newer microwave to only microwave for one minute the first time, adding +30 on until its hot or syrupy, three the second, then one , adding +30 until tender :) unless you have an old low wattage microwave like me! Please note, the recipe calls for green onions/scallions, other large onions are not an do-able substitution.
- 1 large lemon (unblemished)
- 1 lb green onion (about 4 bunches)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Peel lemon, spiraling down from top to bottom - producing one long wide peel.
- Cut peel lengthwise into quarters to get 6 long, thin strips; set aside.
- Squeeze 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Remove tips and ends of green onions and peel the outer layer.
- Divide the onions into 6 bunches, tying each with a strip of lemon peel.
- Arrange the bunches of onions in a 3 quart rectangle shaped microwave-safe dish.
- In a 1 cup microwave safe dish, combine lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Cook on high 2-3 minutes or until hot and syrupy; pour over onions.
- Cover onions with plastic wrap.
- Turn back one side.
- Cook on high 3 minutes.
- Rearrange onions.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes or more until tender.
- Let stand 2 minutes.
I'm clearly in the minority here, but these didn't appeal to me. I'm glad I tried them, though!
I'm sorry to say this didn't work out well for me... I microwaved it for a lot longer than the recipe said, and they were still raw. It's an interesting recipe, though!! Thanks for posting.
The biggest problem with this recipe is it isn't enough!!! I had 3 bunches that I made into 4 bundles & we all wanted MORE!!! Maybe it's *my* microwave but 3 minutes x 2 was too much - they cooked down too much. But delicious! And the sauce is to die for! Zesting the lemon in 1 piece, slicing & tying the zest was a bit tricky but I managed it. Made for the 2/08 Aussie swap.