Recipe by lolablitz
From Indian in 6 by Monisha Bharadwaj. One of my favorite, easy ways to make an Indian dish.
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 firm fish steaks such as cod, 10oz total
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- cilantro leaf
- jasmine rice
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Mix mustard, turmeric, and salt and smear well onto fish steaks.
- 2. Heat oil in a shallow, wide saucepan and fry the spiced fish on both sides until nearly done. Remove and reserve.
- 3. Fry the onion in same oil until soft. Add the tamarind and sugar and mix well. Check seasoning and add salt if necessary.
- 4. When the oil separates out of the mixture, gently place the fish into the pan and finish cooking it. Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro, over jasmine rice.