An excellent and very simple dish from Jill Dupleix
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Fish recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (6 ounce) cod or 4 (6 ounce) halibut
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, to coat
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 6 dried Chinese mushrooms
- 2 inches gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken stock
- Put dried mushrooms for the sauce in a bowl of boiling water and let soak 30 minutes.
- Peel and slice ginger, then cut in very fine matchsticks.
- To make the sauce, drain and finely slice the mushrooms, discarding the stems.
- Mix the cornstarch and vinegar together to make a slurry, place in a small saucepan with the sugar, ketchup, salt, soy sauce, sherry, water or stock and mushrooms.
- Rinse the bean sprouts and shake dry.
- Heat half the oil in a frying pan , add the ginger and fry 1 minute, stirring then lift out with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.
- Fry the bean sprouts in the pan 30 seconds, then divide on four warmed dinner plates.
- Coat fish fillets lightly with cornstarch.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry fish for around 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Place on the bean sprouts and spoon the hot sauce over, scatter with green onions and serve with rice or noodles.
While I was going through your recipes, I saw this and knew my BF would love it, not to mention it sounded wonderful to me too :) I made it along with a salad and mashed potatoes. The fish was enjoyed by us both, and my BF said it was one of the best fish dishes he has ever had. This is a "Do Again" meal for us. Delicious!