Recipe by Chef floWer
I really enjoy eating this dish but it just takes so long to make it. The only things I change is I left out the egg and used milk to dip the fish and I used vegetable oil as I couldn’t find groundnut oil. I also use can pineapple so I can use the juice. This recipe comes from a book called 'The Asian Kitchen' (The best of Chinese and Far Eastern cooking) by Lilian Wu
Top Review by mightyro_cooking4u
I enjoyed this dish. I used white sugar because I didn't have caster. No pineapple chunks, used hot green peppers I had frozen from the garden. Served over rice. Made for Make My Recipe.
- 450 g fish fillets, skinned, boned and cubed (Must be white and at least 2 cms (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornflour
- peanut oil, for deep frying (Groundnut oil)
For the Sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons chinese rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chinese rice wine or 2 teaspoons medium-dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil (Groundnut oil)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 5 cms lenghts
- 1 green capsicum, seeded and cut into 2 cms in pieces
- 115 g fresh pineapple, cut into 2 cms in pieces
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the fish in a bowl. Sprinkle over the five-spice powder and soy sauce, then toss gently.
- Cover and leave to marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Dip the fish in the egg, then in the cornflour, shaking off any excess.
- Half-fill a wok with oil and heat to 190oc. Deep fry the fish in batches for about 2 minutes until golden.
- Drain and keep warm. Carefully pour off all the oil from the wok and wipe clean.
- To make the sauce, blend together in a bowl the cornflour, water, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ketchup and rice wine or sherry. Miz well then set aside.
- Heat the wok until hot. Add 2 teaspoons of the oil and swirl it around. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the spring onions and green capsicum and stir-fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add pineapple.
- Pour in the sauce and cook, stirring until thickened. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add seasoning to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and serve at once.