Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A dish really showing it's German origins from the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Cooking time approximate, depending on how done you like your eggs.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add onion and cook slowly (do not brown).
- Add flour and cook until golden; add water, cloves, and bay leaves and cook until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Add vinegar salt and sugar and as soon as sauce comes to a rapid boil, add eggs one at a time.
- Cover and cook until eggs are done as preferred.